Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Reluctant Doctor


I went to watch Tun Mahathir 2 with Azean and Wan Siti last night, thanks to Balqis who offered us RM2 tickets. I didn't manage to catch the first time, so thank goodness for Balqis, because I was unable to get online tickets.


For those who are interested to getting to know Tun M, this is the perfect chance to do so. It gives us another side of Tun M, not the leader that we all know, love and aspire to be, but as a man, who has his own dreams, hopes and weaknesses. I didn't realize that he did not want to become a doctor in the first place, but since his scholarship does not allow him to pursue law, he has to forgo his dream.


Little that he know that there, he will meet the love of his life, and still speak for his countryman, as loud as any lawyer could. which goes to show that Allah definately work in mysterious ways.Overall, I give Tun M2 a 4 star rating, would have been 5 if they made an extra effort to add in more props, because the setting was too simple.
The cast gave a stellar performance, and kudos to Rosminah Tahir for casting good singers. Misha n Elly sounded heavenly. I especially loved a part where Esma Danial (who played the older Tun M) did and interview. I bet he went through that footage for hours because he captured even the tiniest details in Tun's mannerism. It was a joy to watch.
I have to admit..the part where Tun announced his resignantion managed to make me shed a few tears. My heart goes out to Tun M. I was one of the student body in my college, a portfolio that i was not comfortable with, which is the arts. I was groomed to be on the intellectual portfolio, but UM had made a new ruling that only a student with a 2.5 point average is allowed to be chosen as a member of the student body.
But I came to fall in love with my new portfolio, surrounded by my friends who supported me in my decisions and leadership. For once, 2nd College was a formidable opponent in Festival Seni. So when it was time to step down, i had a pang in my heart. Sure, i was more than confident to pass the torch to Esmainura, but a part of me knows that she will have her own aspirations to live for. And means that it might not be the same as mine. There was also a fear that she won't give her heart n soul to the cause, and then my empire would fall into pieces.
Looking back, if I was to feel that way, when i only held the office for a year, how shattered must Tun's heart be when he was forced to step down. Curse the traitor and his family! I for one suffered when i was in college because i was Tun's loyal supporter, when the others went their separate ways..the dark side, if you will.
For all of that he has done, i am truly grateful that Tun M is our PM, and if najib has any sense in him, he should have done somthing like Singapore and appoint Tun as advisor to the government.
As he said in his sajak "Perjuangan yang Belum Selesai"
Bukan kecil tugas kita
Meneruskan perjuangan kemerdekaan kita
kerana rupanya selain memerdekakan
mengisi kemerdekaan itu jauh lebih sengsara
Thank you Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamed, for becoming a hero when all heroes are just a fragment of history


No comments:

Post a Comment