Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ode to a Friend- Wan Ahmad Fadzil



I received shocking news today..my friend and batch mate - Wan Ahmad Fadzil..has succumbed to his injuries from his accident. Ahmad was attached to Islamabad, Pakistan and returned home to visit his family.


I remembered a conversation we had when i asked him how were things in Pakistan. He told me that it was no picnic working there...he and his family were exposed to danger everyday. I jokingly said (i loved to kid around with him)..he should pray that he dies in Malaysia, among family..so I guess that goes to show that Allah works in mysterious ways.


To anyone who knows him, he will always remain the ever-smiling person, who, in tense situations, will be able to cool the air. That was his forte..his calm and serenity.


This song is dedicated in honour of a great man, taken from us in his youth..so even when we are old and grey (InsyaAllah), Wan Ahmad Fadzil will always remain young, happy and bright...remembered for his kindness and goodwill towards all..



Dust is my bed embracing me
and is my cover

The sands are around me

engulfing me from all directions



And the tomb recounts the story

of the darkness of my calamity

And the light has destined that

my pleasure in meeting (Allah)



Where is the kindness of kin?

They relinquished fidelity

Where are the scores of friends?

They dispensed with my brotherhood

Where is the bliss of money?

I left it behind

And where is the glory of fame and compliments?

That's my end

Dust is my bed..



The beloved bade farewell to his love

and cries my elegy

The tears flow dried out after crying

The vast universe shrank

narrowing my space

The tomb to my corpse become both my land and sky

That's thy end, dust is my bed..

Fear overwhelms my estrangement

and my sadness is my ailment

Hoping for steadfastness

Which is- I swear- my remedy

Sincerely supplicating to the Lord

You are my hope

Hoping - O Allah- for a paradise

In which my bliss shall be attained..

No comments:

Post a Comment